Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Painting a Bird House

Ethan was home sick from school on 11/29 so I was home with both boys! Steve was able to work the whole day (he was on call in case I couldn't handle it), and we had a great day. Ethan is incredibly understanding of Jacob needing to eat and be with us and he's been doing pretty well entertaining himself while trying to be as close to me as possible.

Linda gave him a birdhouse with outdoor acrylic paint a few days before and he had been patiently asking to paint it for days. I finally decided to go for it with him. He had given it a primer of watercolors over the previous few days with help from various family members, but he was so excited to finally get to use the serious messy paints. Jacob was not cooperating by taking a nap so I bundled him up to bring him down with us. The basement isn't heated but wasn't too cold either. E and I were fine but we put on "play clothes" in case we got dirty.



Here I was thinking that we'd have a little lesson on primary and secondary colors. We'd use various brushes and so forth. The first thing Ethan did was make brown by mixing all of the colors together. Then he proceeded to use all 25 brushes that came in the pack! He had fun and didn't even make too much of a mess.






I asked to take a picture of him with his birdhouse and he told me he wanted to have this face in the picture. Lovely.


No comments: