I was awoken Friday morning at 6:30 by a phone call from Jamie who was on her way to the hospital because her water had broken. Since we were already planning to head to the Cape for the weekend, Steve had planned to take half a day and we were set to leave at noon. I figured, first baby, water broken but no contractions, I had until late afternoon/early evening to get there before things got interesting. Steve got in the shower to get ready for work and I lay in bed crying happy tears!
Stephanie came over with her kids (Charlie, Will and Brooke) and we had a very nice playdate until about 11 when I had another call from Jamie. Her contractions were two minutes apart, but not very strong (she had one on the phone with me and talked right through it!) so I still thought I'd be OK, but was getting very anxious to get on the road. Stephanie jumped right in and helped me finish getting ready to go while the boys continued to play and within minutes of Steve getting home we were on the road. Of course traffic was horrendous. We knew it would be but there are few options to make the ride less painful so we just went for it. Unfortunately, I had saved lunch for the car ride so Ethan ate his lunch and then was too wired to fall asleep. He was not happy about all of the traffic and kept expressing his frustration with his words (are we there yet? this is taking a long, long, long time. Grandpa Cliff lives far, far away. And my personal favorite..."GO!"). In the meantime my mom had arrived at the hospital and was giving me a play by play for which I was grateful but you can imagine it made me even more miserable to be sitting in traffic.
I guess around noon things started to get really uncomfortable really quickly for Jamie so she decided to go for the epidural. As they were laying her back down from that, they told her to start pushing! After dilating from 3 to 5 cm in 5 hours, she'd dilated from 5 to 10 cm in less than an hour! It's no wonder she was uncomfortable. Emma was really ready to enter this world and after about half an hour of pushing, there she was!! It broke my heart to miss the whole labor, but oh my goodness was I beyond happy to get there and meet her and hug Jamie just as tight as I could. Oh boy. I'm tearing up just writing this right now. She was born completely perfect on 8/6 at 1:30-ish and weighed 6 lbs 12 oz.
And now...time for the pictures.
Emma was exhausted from her arrival. She slept most of the afternoon and was up most of her first night. Typical!
Ethan was very uncertain of Auntie Jamie being in a hospital bed in a hospital gown with tubes coming out of her arm and steered clear of her for a while. It was much more fun to hang around and on daddy and then Grandma Jan took him to the vending machine and he was in heaven!
He was even hesitant about meeting his new cousin even though he's been a super baby guy lately. I guess the babies he's met have been at least 3 months old. This one was very tiny.
Hmmm....maybe she's not too bad.
Maybe I'll touch her with just one finger for just one second.
Auntie Meghan!!
Boy did she not like it when we tried to unwrap her to check on all her parts. She was double wrapped and just taking off the first blanket was upsetting enough.
Luckily mom was right there to make it all better.
Ethan was watching with little interest from the rocking chair.
Sorry Emma. We just had to see all of your sweet little parts!!
And baby hands too.
Big Daddy Matt. I'm so proud of him too. He did great!!
Here are lots of family pictures...
I have to admit little sis. I'm glad you look a little tired in this picture. You looked a little too good for having given birth an hour before.
On Saturday I went back for more Bartz Family time and brought Great Grandma Nancy and Great Uncle Gary with me. Gary didn't want to hold her but Great Grandma couldn't wait to get her in her arms.
1 comment:
Beautiful!!! I'm so glad that you blogged out of order. Congratulations to everyone, she's adorable!!!
Post a Comment