Saturday, March 28, 2009

Textron Systems Children's Center

We were shocked to learn that Textron has decided to close their on site day care effective June 19th. We have had Ethan in their loving care since I went back to work 18 months ago and we are heartbroken for the families and teachers that are being displaced. The staff and families have been so wonderful and nutruring and we have been so lucky to have them in our lives and caring for Ethan. Ethan has such great friends there that he's been growing with all this time. He and Katie will most certainly be separated since Mark and Bridget are planning to move further west of here and it won't make sense to move her twice. I'm planning to reach out to the other parents to find out where the kids are going so that maybe we can keep a few of them together. I'd like to see where some of the teachers are going too because they have been amazing to us and Ethan. It's difficult to know what to do first. The whole center is in mourning. It really feels as though someone has died. I'm sure that sounds dramatic, but it's been such a supportive community for us that it's hard to imagine leaving him anywhere else.

Just last week was their annual art show. We weren't able to stay, but we did find a few of Ethan's contributions to share with you guys.

This is E with his paper plate pig.



Supposedly he put this together himself, but I'm not convinced...it looks a bit too perfect! Although we have been putting in a lot of hours with Mr Potato Head so maybe they're paying off.





Wish us luck as we figure out where to go from here with our child care.

2 comments:

Brenda Katz said...

I am Brenda Katz, Owner and Director of Blossom Station Child Care Center of Acton, Inc. I share in your sympathy for the closing of Textron System Children's Center. Since this is a reality, I would like to offer any family the opportunity to tour Blossom Station. Blossom Station is owner operated and as Director I am on premises all day everyday. My motives are not predatory as I have been in the industry for 30 years and have operated Blossom Station in Boston for 10 years and Acton for 10 years. My focus has always been on the children and their families. I can be reached at 978 266 2779 and/or visit us on our Website at www.BlossomStation.com . Also look for our forthcoming Summer Program which will appear on the website within next few weeks.

Once again my sympathies for those children and families who have developed relationships with staff and comfort in a quality program.

Jacqui Duffy said...

Hi, I am Jacqui Duffy of Humpty dumpty School, which is on the other side of Rt, 93 in Reading. I am so sorry to hear about Textron's Children Center closing. I can certainly understand how it feels like a death in the family. Humpty Dumpty School is located on Lowell St in Reading and takes children 4 weeks to age 7. We are ready to help any family with the transition to a new center. We have been in operation for over 35 years. You can reach me at 781-944-3049 or check out our website www.humptydumptyschool.com. You can also find us on Facebook under Humpty Dumpty School.