Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Black Eye, Bubbles and Babies

June started off a little rough for the munchkin. While playing with daddy, he threw himself on a pillow that was hiding Steve's knee and he bonked his head pretty good. It didn't bother him at all and didn't immediately look like anything so we didn't give it much thought. The next morning he woke up with half of his forehead swollen! I stayed home with him to keep an eye on the situation (no pun intended) and ended up taking him in to see the Dr. He showed no signs of head injury so we were sent home with instructions to keep it iced and wait it out.





However, by Tuesday afternoon the swelling moved into and around his eye. It was weird how it kept moving but the Dr assured me that it was normal. That same day I took him back to the Dr for a developmental screening. We weren't concerned about anything but my pediatrician recommended it as something fun to do and learn from. Have I mentioned how much Ethan loves going to the Dr and the Dentist? You would think 2 trips in a day would be a bit much, but he was all for it! The woman took one look at him and asked, in a very concerned way, if I wanted someone to take a look at him. He did look pretty rough so I said that if someone was available I'd be happy to have them look. However, as we went through the screening, E was doing so well she decided his head had to be fine. It was so funny to be there watching and rooting for him as she asked him to answer questions and manipulate different kinds of puzzles. I was so proud and Ethan was on his game. You could definitely see the competitive side in him with his "I can do that" attitude. She mentioned that his fine motor was lacking a bit which was exactly what I told her I thought at the beginning (a mother always knows!), but nothing to be alarmed about. He is still very much into scribbling and not trying to make shapes or letters. We're working on lines now to try to get him under control, but it's tough. He rated very high for verbal skills as anybody who's met this kid can attest to! He's got a lot to say and for the most part says it very clearly. One other thing is that when he nods his head he nods with his whole upper body so I plan to have him evaluated by a PT/OT just to check. With the torticollis he had as a baby, he may still be a bit stiff in spots so we want to avoid any long term implications. Counting went well. He made it to 20 without screwing up but since then seems to have forgotten about 16. Colors, shapes, and simple block building were all a piece of cake and she even did some analogies with him. The tricky one was "a table is made of wood, a window is made of ...". Ethan said metal and then had no idea what else to guess. The woman pointed to her glasses and asked him what those were and then asked him again what a window was made of and he said glass! It was cool to watch him make that connection.



His eye took a few more days to totally clear up and it never seemed to bother him at all. I think he loved the attention though. His teachers made a big deal about him when he went back to school. He did look pretty pathetic.

Bubbles have been a big part of our summer so far. This was the morning that I busted out the mega bubble pack that I had bought for him and both boys had a lot of fun with all the different bubble wands. Ethan loves being in "bubble town" as he calls it. You can tell Steve hadn't had all of the coffee that he needed that morning.






Just a random picture to illustrate that we still have not mastered the art of eating with utensils.


A few weeks ago our friends Andrew and Jamie came over for dinner with their twin boys Dylan and Dean. As soon as they got here Ethan wanted to hold them. He reached up like he was just going to carry one away, but was happy to settle for a little couch time. As you can imagine, I too held them a lot throughout the evening. It was great to see how interested Ethan was in what they were doing.


No comments: