The weather was horrendous when we left Falmouth. It was barely 50 degrees and pouring rain. We had many layers on for the 35 minute ride over to the island but we refused to go below deck. The rest of Friday was as miserable as it started weather-wise. We didn't care though! We were so excited to be away we had a great time eating and drinking the night away.
Saturday morning it had stopped raining but the sun hadn't come out and it was pretty chilly. We headed to Menempsha Hills for a hike and were not disappointed.
We had lunch in Mempsha after walking all around the small harbor town. Apparently we just missed Ellen Pompei (aka Meredith Grey).
From there we headed out to Aquinnah and the Gay Head Cliffs. Along the way we passed the home of the family I lived with that summer 16 years ago, but I couldn't remember exactly where it was anymore.
After taking the long way home down Middle Road (my favorite on the island), we went to Katama and walked along South Beach. The waves were great and there were even a few kids swimming.
Saturday night we decided to walk out to The Harborview Hotel for dinner. First we walked out to the Edgartown Light (I don't think that's the official name, but it's a lighthouse in Edgartown so I'm going with it). The land behind the light is Chappaquiddick. The beach roses (beach plums? I wasn't sure after 32 years...) were in full bloom and you would catch their scent here and there.
Have I mentioned that I got a new Vera bag and I love it!? Steve couldn't understand why I was taking a picture of my bag but come on...it looks so pretty.
Sunday morning we packed up and headed back to Oak Bluffs for a few hours before the ferry. We had a lovely walk through the campgrounds but didn't take any pictures of the gingerbread cottages. This was a lunch at The Sand Bar and Grille right on the water.
Of course the sun was out and it was nice and warm in time for us to leave.
What an amazing weekend we had together. We loved being able to enjoy the day on our terms. Eating when and where we wanted, walking through the woods or around the shops for as long as we wanted, and especially sleeping on our terms. Thank you dad and Louise!
2 comments:
Oh wow! I didn't realize it was just the TWO of you on your MV trip! Sounds like a blissful time, no matter what the weather. And I love that we both took path photos this weekend :-) XO
Wow Carrie sounds like you guys had a great weekend! I'm so glad. It was definitely well deserved! Your vacations look like mine... it always rains! haha The bag is beautiful, guys just don't get those things! I'm so glad you guys had a great time. You have been an amazing family to work with and I'm so glad we had that chance. You, Steve, and Ethan will definitely be missed by so many of us!
~Cassandra
Post a Comment